Albuquerque Public Schools is offering a $1 million reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction of the person responsible for a string of deaths at a school in the city’s northeast.
The district is offering the reward after a series of deaths in the Albuquerque Public School District have raised questions about its safety practices and a suspected drug-related death at the school last year.
The reward, which was posted on the district’s website, has been in place for nearly two months and has garnered more than 5,300 calls, according to the district.
“As a district that has worked hard to create a safe and supportive environment for our students, we are proud to be at the forefront of this effort,” Albuquerque Public schools Superintendent Mike Gonzalez said in a statement on Wednesday.
“The public safety of our students is of the utmost importance and we are grateful for the support we have received from the community, community leaders, and law enforcement.”
The district, which has about 14,000 students, is located in a rural area in southeastern Albuquerque, about 35 miles (50 kilometers) northeast of the state capital, Albuquerque.
The school district has been under the supervision of the New Mexico Department of Public Safety since 2015 and has been dealing with several high-profile incidents, including a string last year of shootings at a charter school, a high school and a day care center.
The superintendent said Wednesday that he had not been in touch with the school district about the reward.
He said he was not aware of the investigation, which is being conducted by the Albuquerque Police Department.
Albuquerque police were contacted Wednesday afternoon and asked to comment.